Friday, March 13, 2015

Faith Overcomes Fear (Luke 21:26)



If we have faith and live righteously then we have no need to fear. (Luke 21:26)

I have to admit that I feel fear very often about this world we are living in and especially about raising my boys in this world of wickedness. Even though I do feel fear I also know that faith is the antidote to fear. Faith in our Heavenly Father and Savior is what helps me live with hope and love instead of fear. As 2 Timothy 1:7 explains, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

I found a great talk by talking about having faith instead of fear by Elder Gibbons titled “A Time for Faith, Not Fear”.  In this talk he says, “This is a time for faith, not fear.” He goes one to say, “President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, has said: ‘Faith, to be faith, must center around something that is not known. Faith, to be faith, must go beyond that for which there is confirming evidence. Faith, to be faith, must go into the unknown. Faith, to be faith, must walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness.’ Then Elder Gibbons comments, “It is hard to build faith in the noonday sun. When the night is dark and the clouds are thick, we have an opportunity to put our hand in the Lord’s hand and rely on Him to help us through. Doing so strengthens our faith.”

He also stresses that “Faith is a principle of action” and talks about actions we can take to increase our faith which in turn will decrease our fear. He says, “Nothing is quite as powerful for strengthening faith as living the commandments. In difficult times we naturally long for security. We long for the knowledge that everything will be all right, that we are safe and secure. That is normal. But the only true security is in living the commandments and keeping our covenants.”

Sometimes I personally have great fear because I feel so alone, but we can take comfort because Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles says “I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face.”

Still I have a hard time relying upon others to help me and strengthen me, but I have hope because I know I can always rely on my Savior, Heavenly Father and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Of this Elder Gibbons says, “You have the gift of the Holy Ghost, and you have the right to receive revelation every day. At times revelation may not come as quickly as you might like because the Lord gives us opportunities to grow and develop our abilities according to His knowledge of us and what we need, but He will guide us through the Holy Ghost.”

President Thomas S. Monson says it best, “There will be nothing in this world that can defeat us. My beloved brothers and sisters, fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith.”


Question: Think of something that you are fearful about. What is one thing you can do in your life to increase your faith in Jesus Christ so you won’t be fearful about that thing?

1 comment:

  1. Joseph Smith said, " Three things are necessary in order that any rational and intelligent being may exercise faith in God unto life and salvation. 1- the idea that He [God] actually exists. 2- the CORRECT idea of His character, perfections and attributes. 3- an actual knowledge that the course of life which he is perusing is according to His will. For without an aquaintance with these important facts, the faith of every rational being must be imperfect and unproductive; but with this understanding it can become perfect and fruitful, abounding in righteousness, into the praise and glory of God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. " Lectures on Faith, lecture 3. I recently put this to the test, and in simply just learning Gods character for myself, I have had an increase in the spirit and miracles. I agree though, you cannot possess fear and have faith. As my faith has increased, I have stopped fearing, and ultimately worrying.

    ReplyDelete